The DSC Platforms can be maintained and configured using the the following interfaces:
- Element Management System (EMS)
- Web-based User Interface (Web UI)
- Text-based User Interface (Menu UI)
- Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP)
- Transaction Language 1 (TL1)
- Custom Application Mode
Element Management System
The DSC Platforms are integrated with the Element Management System (EMS) for a seamless and unified element management user experience. For more information, see DSC Interoperability Matrix.
For information about registering the DSC Platforms with EMS, see Register a DSC Node.
You can enable EMS access on the DSC Platforms using the following methods:
- executing the initial configuration procedure. For more information about this procedure, see the following references for the three supported DSC Platforms.
- for the DSC 8000, see Executing the Initial Configuration
- for the DSC SWe on KVM hypervisor, see Executing the Initial Configuration (on KVM Hypervisor)
- for the DSC SWe on VMware hypervisor, see Executing the Initial Configuration (on VMware Hypervisor)
- for the DSC SWe on (OpenStack) see, Executing the Initial Configuration Procedure on the DSC SWe (on OpenStack)
DSC can be accessed through the DSC Manager in EMS (see EMS Access to the DSC Platforms).
Web-based User Interface
The DSC Platforms support a Web-based user interface (referred to in this library as Web UI).
The DSC Platforms feature set has been tested using the following web browsers:
Microsoft Internet Explorer is the supported web browser for the SS7 Database Application (SDA) on DSC 8000. You cannot access the SDA System Manager GUI using an unsupported web browser.
For information about accessing the Web UI, see
- Accessing the Web UI (DSC 8000)
- Accessing the DSC SWe (on KVM) Web UI (DSC SWe with KVM hypervisor)
- Accessing the DSC SWe Web UI (DSC SWe with VMware hypervisor)
- Accessing the DSC SWe (on OpenStack) Web UI
For a detailed description of the Web UI, manipulating this UI and mapping of the DSC applications` hierarchies, see the appropriate chapters in the Web UI and Menu UI Guide.
Text-based User Interface
Simple Network Management Protocol
The DSC Platforms are equipped with a Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) agent that can connect with up to ten SNMP managers, or network management systems.
SNMP is part of the Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) protocol suite. SNMP is an application layer protocol that defines how management information between network devices is exchanged. SNMP provides a means to monitor and control network devices.
For detailed information about SNMP and about accessing this protocol, see Configuring SNMP.
Transaction Language 1
The DSC Platforms support a customized Linux-based operating system and TL1 command capabilities. The TL1 commands are used to manage software application elements and parameters for this product. The TL1 command prompt is accessible through an SSH tunnel in combination with a Telnet session connected to these platforms using the appropriate IP interfaces (see Establishing and Terminating a TL1 Command Session).
Custom Application Mode
Using the Custom Application Mode you can create a redirect button to access any Web-enabled application. For accessing the Web UI, see Web-based User Interface on this page. For the procedure to create a redirect button, see Accessing Custom Application Mode Configuration.