The SBC Core system is a closed network device. Customer modifications at the Linux level are not allowed or supported. These modifications can cause stability, update and fail-over issues.
Customers should only configure the SBC using the supported interfaces (CLI, REST, EMA, EMS).
This section provides information on installing software on to the following Sonus® Session Border Controller platforms: SBC 5100™, SBC 5110™, SBC 5200™, SBC 5210™, SBC 5400™ and SBC 7000™.
To install software on SBC Software Edition, refer to Installing SBC SWe on Virtual Platforms.
Pre-Installed Software for the Jumpstart System
The SBC Portfolio platforms are pre-installed with the latest version of the following platform software components:
- Operating System
- BMC Firmware—The Baseboard Management Controller (BMC) is a specialized micro-controller embedded in the SBC Portfolio platforms.
- BIOS Firmware—The Basic Input/Output System.
The SBC application software package is available as a compressed tar file in the Salesforce customer portal. Download the application software package to your local computer or server and install the application using the Platform Manager. Refer to Downloading the Software from Salesforce to know more.
For detailed information on installing the new application software, refer to Installing SBC Application.
Standalone vs. High Availability
The SBC platform can be configured for one of two different scenarios:
- Standalone—A single SBC server.
- High Availability (HA) / Redundant pair—A redundant SBC pair with one system protecting the other system in case of system failure. The HA configuration consists of two SBC servers configured for box-level redundancy.
SBC Operating Modes
When you initially configure SBC platform, Only Embedded Routing Engine (ERE) mode is supported for all SBC products from 6.0.0 release. Refer to Routing and Policy Management to know more about the supported modes from 6.0.0 release.
Embedded Routing Engine (ERE)– which is a light version of the PSX Policy Server for small to medium size networks with no complex routing. Select this mode if you are using an external PSX.
Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) SBC
An ISO (re-imaging) should be performed on every SBC received through RMA process. Perform ISO with the appropriate OS and application files. To know more about re-installing OS, refer to:
- Re-Installing ConnexIP Operating System for SBC 5000 Series
- Re-Installing ConnexIP Operating System for SBC 7000 Series