Before you begin
- Assemble the following equipment:
- Laptop or other portable computer running a compatible web browser equipped with an Ethernet port
- Ethernet patch cord with standard straight-through wiring or crossover wiring
- Verify that the UX system power cable is plugged in and the system is running
- Temporarily assign your portable computer IP address to
- If initializing the UX2000 - directly connect the Ethernet cable to the Admin Port
Click here to see where the Admin Port is located on the front of the UX2000 chassis
The Administrative IP port should only be used for Running Initial Setup and disconnected when not in use (especially to avoid conflicts with your network). This interface cannot be used for VOIP media or protocols.
Application Ethernet Ports
When two or more LAN Ethernet ports are on the same Bridge (as in the factory-default UX configuration), they must not be connected to the same Ethernet switch or Ethernet network. Doing so creates a broadcast loop in the Ethernet network, rendering the network unusable. You may work around this issue by connecting the Ethernet ports directly to an intelligent switch or router running a spanning tree protocol.
- If initializing the UX1000 - directly connect the Ethernet cable to Ethernet Port 1
Click here to see where Ethernet Port 1 is located on the front of the UX1000 chassis
The UX1000 sports two pairs of USB ports (as illustrated above) — each pair serves a particular purpose:
USB Port Intent and Usage Detail3
These ports are optionally used to attach an external USB drive to store core dumps for troubleshooting (in the event they occur), and as a survivability mechanism for Active Directory Caching (when configured). See #Support section below for proper usage.9
If your UX1000 has a built-in Application Service Module (ASM), this USB port is primarily used for Updating the ASM Recovery Partition, and to (optionally) transfer files between a USB drive and the ASM.
The following section is applicable only to the USB ports on location #3 on the UX's front panel.
For the UX system to properly recognize the USB thumb drive, you must ensure the following prerequisites are satisfied:
- The USB storage mus be of FAT32 file format.
- The storage must be at least 1GB (or more) in size.
- USB storage device must be connected before the UX unit is started.
- Connecting the USB thumb drive while UX is operational is not recommended as it will not enable the core dump capture functionality.
Disconnecting the USB thumb drive without safe removal may lead to data corruption
You should only remove the USB device when the UX is powered off. Should you need to disconnect the USB device while the UX system is operational, then you must safely un-mount the drive first:
- Access the Debug Facily
- Under the Components/Subsystem drop down menu, select System Health Monitor
- Under the Action Type drop down menu, select Run
- In the Command entry, type:
- Click OK
You will receive the following message: USB drive unmounted.. At this stage, you can safely remove the USB storage device.
- Using a web browser, navigate to the following web address: https://192.168.128.2
Proceed with the Initial Setup
Follow the instructions for your UX model:
Initializing more than one UX?
If you are deploying multiple UX units using the same laptop, you may need to flush the ARP cache on your laptop before initializing the next UX system.
Once you complete the Initial Setup, UX should be set up and ready for use.
For information on getting started with UX, please refer to the following guides: