The Re-initialize ASM task restores the ASM to an unconfigured state, replacing all software and settings with the image in the Updating the ASM Recovery Partition .
This operation is typically useful when a Lync SBA needs to be re-deployed, for disaster recovery, or as a means of clearing all software and configuration. Sometimes, it is also used in conjunction after Updating the ASM Recovery Partition in order to load updated software onto the ASM.
This operation can also be used to run a different type of image on the ASM to achieve another role. The ASM is shipped running Lync SBA 2013, with the following four images available on the recovery partition:
- Lync 2013 SBA image, which allows use of the ASM as a Survivable Branch Appliance for Lync 2013
- Lync 2010 SBA image, which allows use of the ASM as a Survivable Branch Appliance for Lync 2010
- Lync 2013 RBA image, which allows use of the ASM in a RBA HQ-Side SBC or QoE Agent Server SBC (see Configuring the RBA 3G4G Feature or Configuring the QoE Feature)
- Windows Server image, which allows use of the ASM as a customer-maintained server
Only the ASM image that is based on a licensed Operating System will appear to be re-initialized in the WebUI. If you are not seeing an image that has been previously loaded into the Recovery partition, see.
Performing the re-initialization
Before you Begin
This operation is both disruptive (it leaves the ASM unavailable for up to 40 minutes) and destructive (it deletes and replaces all software and configuration on the ASM).
- In the WebUI, click the Tasks tab.
In the left navigation pane, under the Application Solution Module, click Reinitialize.
- Select an image type from the Image Type select list.
- Click Apply
Upon starting the operation, the ASM will become unavailable for up to 40 minutes. It will not provide progress updates (there is no way to see how far along it is), but the Current Activity Status panel will report when the operation is complete.
Required Post Actions
After successfully re-initializing the ASM, proceed with the following actions: