SBC SWe Lite Overview
The SBC SWe Lite is an expansion of the SBC Edge product line. The SBC SWe Lite is distributed as a “software-only” Virtual Appliance executable on customer-supplied, Commercial Off-the-Shelf (COTS) Intel® x86 hardware running Microsoft® Hyper-V®, KVM Hypervisor, or VMware® ESXi hypervisors. Distributed purely as software, the SBC SWe Lite is a virtual machine that delivers cost savings, reduced management complexity, and increased reliability for branch office networking and communication needs. The core features include:
- Layer 2 and Layer 3 based routing protocols
- Gigabit Ethernet switching
- Firewall with traffic inspection
- Session Border Controller
- Voice Media Processing through advanced Digital Signal Processing algorithms.
Throughout this document set, features and processes in the SBC Edge that are not applicable to SBC SWe Lite are identified with this note:
Not supported by SBC SWe Lite in this release.
When you see this note, be aware that it applies to all content on the page (unless noted otherwise), and all child pages for that page.
All references to TDM/FXx have been removed.
Elements in the User Interface that are used solely in conjunction with hardware configuration and processes that are not included in SBC SWe Lite – such as TDM, IPv6, ASM modules and so on – may not be present in the SBC SWe Lite user interface. When prominently featured in a section, these elements have been identified by Notes throughout this documentation set.
The functionality from the SBC Edge DNS Local Hosts table carries forward to SBC SWe Lite and provides an alternative to DNS server resolution. There is no DNS forwarding feature in SBC SWe Lite.
Features and Processes – Differences Between SBC Edge and SBC SWe Lite
Features/Processes Not Applicable to SBC SWe Lite
The following hardware-related features and processes are not present because they do not apply to SBC SWe Lite:
- Application Solution Module (ASM) and supported applications including: Microsoft Skype for Business Survivable Branch Appliance (SBA), Microsoft Skype for Business Cloud Connector Edition, and other approved partner solutions for ASM.
PRI/BRI/CAS/FXS/FXO interface features (including configuration, call termination/origination, etc.)
- One Number Fax (ONF)
Features/Processes Available in Future Releases of SWe Lite
Selected features may be available in future releases, including:
- T.38 Fax
- Native VLAN/MSTP support
- Nectar UCD Support
- Multiple stream support
- Silence suppression for G.723
- Microsoft Lync® 2013 Quality of Experience (QoE)
- For details, contact a Sonus representative.