Not supported by SBC SWe Lite in this release.
This best practice document helps a user deploy and execute the Skype for Business 2015 SBA on products that shipped from Sonus without the Skype for Business 2015 SBA.
The Skype for Business 2015 SBA application is only supported on Windows Server 2012 R2 operating system. If your device does not have a license for Windows Server 2012 R2, a license purchase and download will be necessary to activate and execute the Skype for Business 2015 SBA.
Upgrading from Lync 2013 to Skype for Business 2015 creates a down time. The following recommendations help reduce the down time:
- Upgrade during a maintenance
- Implement the Branch SBC as Gateway of the central pool
Upgrading from Lync 2010 SBA to Lync 2013 SBA, and upgrading from Lync 2013 SBA to Skype for Business 2015 SBA are valid upgrades. Microsoft does not support a migration from Lync 2010 SBA to Skype for Business 2015 SBA. Contact Microsoft for details.
Before you begin, ensure you have the following information:
- Credentials to connect the Skype for Business Control Panel.
- A central pool that can host the user during migration.
- Credentials to access the topology builder.
- A SBC WebUI Credential.
- An AD account that allows a machine to join the domain.
- If you plan to change the ASM host-name, a certificate for the ASM.
Preparing the SBC and SBA
1. Upgrade the SBC and SbcComms
The firmware on the SBC as well as the firmware on the ASM (SbcComms) must be at version 5.0 or above. See Upgrading or Downgrading SBC 1000/2000 for the upgrade procedure.
2. Confirm Windows Server 2012 R2 License
Confirm that your ASM is licensed for 'Windows Server 2012R2', which is a prerequisite to run Skype for Business 2015 SBA.
To Confirm Windows Server License:
- Access the WebUI.
- Click the tab System.
- Click the tab Overview, then scroll into the ASM System Details panel.
- Confirm that 'Windows Server 2012R2' appears in Windows Factory License or Windows Applied Additional License fields.
Case 1: Your Windows factory license is 'Windows Server 2008R2'
You will need to purchase and install the Windows Server 2012 R2 operating system license. See Working with Licenses.
Case 2: Your Windows factory license is 'Windows 2012R2'
Your license allows you to use the Windows Server 2012 R2 to execute the Skype for Business 2015 SBA. No further OS license is required.
Check the device for a Skype for Business 2015 SBA license label. If the label is attached, no further licenses are required to operate the Skype for Business 2015 SBA. If the label is not attached, you will need to acquire a Skype for Business 2015 SBA license. See Working with Licenses. If a license is acquired, see Attach License Label for attaching the label on the unit.
3. Confirm Availability of the Skype for Business 2015 SBA image
Confirm that your ASM already has the Skype for Business 2015 SBA image available on the hard drive.
Do not reinitialize the ASM, simply confirm the Skype of Business 2015 SBA image is available.
To Confirm Skype for Business 2015 SBA Availability:
- Access the WebUI.
- Click the tab Tasks.
- Under Application Solution Module, click Reinitialize.
- Confirm that one of the choices in the drop down menu is Skype for Business 2015 SBA.
If Skype for Business 2015 SBA is not listed on the drop down menu, follow the instructions on Updating the ASM Recovery Partition.
4. Backup the SBA certificate
If you plan to re-use the same host name for the SBA, follow the steps on
Setting Up Upgrade
1. Remove the SBA resource from the Skype control panel
- Assign the users for the SBA to the central site.
- Delete the associated trunk in the route where the SBC attached to the SBA is present.
2. Update the Topology Builder
- Delete the gateways inside the SBA pool.
- Delete the Front End inside the SBA pool.
- Publish your topology.
- Recreate your SBA under the folder "Branch Sites/<SiteName>/Skype for Business 2015".
- Publish your topology.
Deploy your SBA
Complete the following procedures in order to deploy your SBA:
- Re-initializing the ASM
- Upgrading the SBC Communication Service Version
- Deploying the SBA (Survivable Branch Appliance)
Deploy the SBA in the same manner as Lync 2013 SBA.
Recreate Resources in the Skype Control Panel
Recreate the SBA resources you removed in the Skype control panel:
- Recreate the route where the SBC attached to the SBA is present.
- Re-assign the users from the central site to this pool.