The SBC Edge include a password recovery feature that allows for the recovery of (resetting) the admin password. This feature works by creating a temporary Admin user with a temporary password that allows an administrator to access the Local User Management page of the UI and reset at least one Admin level user's password.
Enabling the Password Recovery Feature
The Password Recovery feature is enabled (disabled by default) from the Global Security Options page of the UI. Enabled/disable this feature as follows:
- In the WebUI, click the Settings tab.
In the left navigation pane, go to Security > Users > Global Security Options.
- From the Password Recovery drop down list, select True (to disable, select False).
- Click Apply.
For details on Global Security Configuration, refer to Managing Global Security Options.
Resetting the Admin Password
Simple Admin Password Recovery Procedure
Recovering the admin password(s) can be accomplished using the reset button.
To recover the admin password(s):
The temporary admin username and password are only valid for five minutes.
- When the SBC has detected the 4-5 second Reset Button push, the four LEDs on the front panel will flash four (4) times. See SBC 1000 Front Panel or SBC 2000 Front Panel for details about the location of the LEDs.
- If the Reset Button is held for more than 6 seconds, the request will not be recognized and the push-and-hold operation must be repeated.
- Do Not hold the Reset Button for a period of more than 20 seconds or this will initiate a factory default (see below).
- Login to the SBC using the system generated temporary admin username and password.
- Temporary user name: A + last 8 characters of the the SBC serial number (e.g., A12345678).
- Temporary password: same as the temporary user name.
- Click the Settings tab at the top of the UI.
In the left navigation bar, go to: Security > Users > Local User Management.
Click the Reset Password link in at least one Administrator level user row.
- Enter a new password in the Password field, then re-enter the password in the Confirm Password field.
- Click OK.
Recovering (restoring) Admin Passwords After a Factory Default Reset
After performing a factory default reset, the SBC configuration may be restored from a backup.
When you restore the configuration, there are options for retaining passwords:
- Restoring the configuration without recovering all existing users and passwords.
- Restoring the configuration and preserving only the admin user and password created in initial setup.
The configuration restoration task can be initiated from either the Tasks or Settings tabs. For specific information about restoring a configuration, see the Restoring Data section in this documentation.