These instructions support configuring the SBC SWe Lite Quick Launch; Ribbon recommends this procedure for all users. To deploy the VM manually, refer to Deploying an SBC SWe Lite from the Azure Marketplace.
The SBC SWe Lite is a Microsoft-certified virtualized Session Border Controller (SBC) designed to provide small and mid-sized businesses interworking, security, and survivability for unified communications. The SBC SWe Lite is available for deployment in Azure as a BYOL (Bring Your Own License); it will be created as a virtual machine (VM) hosted in Azure.
These instructions include how to configure and deploy the SBC SWe Lite in Microsoft Azure teams client on site via SIP trunk. All configuration commands are via Azure Portal.
Step 1: Review Prerequisites
This section details the Microsoft Azure cloud computing requirements for hosting the SBC SWe Lite VM and SBC SWe Lite related resources.
Microsoft Azure Subscription
A Microsoft Azure subscription (with credit) is required. Refer to Microsoft Azure.
Azure Resource created by the "SBC SWe Lite Quick Launch" Requirements
Required by Azure to host the SBC SWe Lite VM and SBC SWe Lite related resource. Resource types are assigned into a resource group. Interconnects SBC SWe Lite with other equipment, inside and outside Azure. Hosts the SBC SWe Lite IP addresses (SBC SWe Lite support 2 to 5 Network Adapters that require separate subnets). Dynamic Public IP address associated with a Public FQDN for Management Port. Static Public IP address for Media Port.
Resource Description Resource group Virtual network Virtual subnet Azure Virtual Machine Requirements Refer to Virtual Machine Requirements - Microsoft Azure. Public IP Address Network Interface Connect SBC SWe Lite to a Virtual Subnet. Network Security Group ACL that protects SBC SWe Lite VM. Managed Disk Contains SBC SWe Lite Operating System.
Required by Azure to host the SBC SWe Lite VM and SBC SWe Lite related resource. Resource types are assigned into a resource group.
Interconnects SBC SWe Lite with other equipment, inside and outside Azure.
Hosts the SBC SWe Lite IP addresses (SBC SWe Lite support 2 to 5 Network Adapters that require separate subnets).
Dynamic Public IP address associated with a Public FQDN for Management Port.
Static Public IP address for Media Port.
Step 2: Deploy SBC SWe Lite From Azure Marketplace
When the SBC SWe Lite is deployed via Azure Marketplace, the image automatically appears in the general list of available images in Azure Portal. Deploy the SBC SWe Lite as follows:
- Connect to the Azure portal. Refer to portal.azure.com.
From the menu, click Create a Resource.
- In the search bar, enter Ribbon and click <Enter>. Select SBC SWe Lite Quick Launch and click Enter.
Review the product description and click Create.
Click the Basics tab.
- Select a Subscription.
- Select Resource group (click Create new to create a Resource group automatically, or from the drop down box, select a Resource group previously created (i.e, SWeLite 1)
- Select a Region.
In Virtual machine name field, enter SBCSWeLite.
- Select the Required # of simultaneous calls.
Click Next: Virtual Machine Settings.
In Virtual machine size, the Virtual Machine size is pre-selected by Ribbon as the recommended size. If you require another size, click Change size to select the applicable VM size. To determine the required VM size, refer to Transcoding Capacity - Microsoft Azure Cloud Deployment in Calculating Virtual Machine Requirements for an SBC SWe Lite. Supported VM sizes include:
- Select the storage account for the Virtual Machine's Serial diagnostics.
Click Next: Networking Settings.
- In SBC SWe Lite's virtual network, the network is pre-selected by Ribbon. If you require another network, select from the drop down list.
- In Management interface subnet, the subnet is pre-selected by Ribbon. If you require another subnet, select from the drop down list.
- In Signaling & media interface 1 subnet, the subnet is pre-selected by Ribbon. If you require another subnet, select from the drop down list.
Click Next: SBC SWe Lite Settings.
- In SBC SWe Lite Management User Interface, enter the Username, Password, and Confirm Password.
- In the DNS Domain Name field, enter the DNS Domain name used by the SBC SWe Lite (i.e., Domain1.com).
Click Next: Review + create.
A screen indicates validation of the VM has passed.
- Review the information.
Step 3: Connect to SBC SWe Lite via Azure Portal
Connect to the SBC SWe Lite via Azure Portal as follows:
- Access the Azure portal. Refer to portal.azure.com.
From the menu, click Resource Groups.
Click the Resource Group used above (for example, SweLite1).
- Click Settings > Deployment.
Click Outputs. Take note of the SWe Lite Management FQDN and public IP recommended for Teams Direct Routing.
Connect to SBC SWe Lite Management FQDN.
For detailed information on reserving a VM resource, refer to Reserving a VM Resource in Azure.
Step 4: License Installation
Trial License Installation
If you are installing an SBC SWe Lite instance in Azure for a trial or demonstration deployment, you can use the 30 day trial license that is included with SBC SWe Lite in Azure by default. If your trial or demonstration deployment lasts for more than 30 days, proceed to Obtaining and Installing a Permanent SWe Lite Trial License. For more information, refer to SBC SWe Lite Trial Offer for Microsoft Azure.
Production License Installation
If you are installing an SBC SWe Lite instance to carry live/production enterprise traffic, proceed to Obtaining and Installing an SBC SWe Lite Production License.