Does not apply to SBC SWe Lite.
An enterprise may plan to deploy Cloud PBX (defined at https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt612869.aspx) services at a future time. In the interim, the same enterprise may have/choose to deploy Skype for Business 2015 Server on-premises. See https://technet.microsoft.com/en-ca/library/gg398095.aspx .
To minimize SBC-related expenses, Sonus presents you with the option of deploying a Cloud Link device (intended to support Cloud PBX-related local PSTN voice services) as a Survivable Branch Appliance ("SBA", primarily used with on-premises Skype for Business 2015 Server deployments). When you choose to migrate to Cloud PBX services, no additional SBC hardware expenses will be incurred.
This article explains how to re-purpose a Sonus Cloud Link device into a Sonus SBA, and vice versa.
When repurposing the Sonus SBC Cloud Link as an SBA device, take note of the folllowing:
- Ensure you purchased a Sonus SBC Cloud Link. See https://www.sonus.net/solutions/microsoft-solutions/sonus-cloud-link-for-microsoft-cce.
- Ensure the Sonus SBC and SbcComms (see Managing the SBC Communication Service) are running the same software version (required version is 6.1 and later)
Access the Sonus SBC Edge Download Center, and download the required Microsoft(r) Lync 2013/Skype for Business 2015 SBA image that matches your enterprise's Unified Communications deployment.
- Ensure you acquire and apply the relevant Skype for Business 2015/Lync 2013 SBA label. Label products that can be ordered are listed at Working with Licenses. See instructions regarding label application, here: Attach License Label - Skype for Business and Windows OS
Additional operating system licenses are not required to deploy the SBA application on the Sonus Cloud Link device. The Cloud Link already contains the required Windows Server 20212 R2 licenses that support the legitimate use of the Microsoft Skype for Business 2015/Lync 2013 SBA
How to Repurpose a Sonus Cloud Link as a Lync/Skype SBA device
Complete the following procedures to deploy the Sonus Cloud Link as an SBA as follows:
- Update the ASM Recovery Partition with the SBA image you plan to use. See Updating the ASM Recovery Partition.
- Re-initialize the ASM using the SBA image you loaded. See Re-initializing the ASM.
- Deploy the SBA. For details, see Deploying the SBA (Survivable Branch Appliance).
After deployment, the Sonus Cloud Link will now run as an SBA.
Returning to Sonus Cloud Link Usage
If you need to revert back to the Sonus Cloud Link, see below:
- Re-initialize the ASM using the Cloud Connector Edition (CCE) image found on the hard drive. See Re-initializing the ASM.
From the ASM image type drop down, select Cloud Connector Edition.
After re-initialization, the Sonus SBC will now run as a Cloud Link.