This document describes the recommended procedure for upgrading or downgrading the SBC 1000/2000.
Before You Begin
- Software upgrades should be performed during off-peak hours.
- Before upgrading or staging an upgrade, set all Logging to Error level unless advised otherwise by Sonus support. For information about logging, see Supported Logging Levels.
Read the release notes for the target SBC 1000/2000 software version. The upgrade notes (in particular) contain important information that may be relevant to your SBC 1000/2000 configuration. A newer version of SBC 1000/2000 may have different requirements than the previous version.
Make sure your environment still complies with the SBC 1000/2000 requirements and supported platforms.
You must Backup your Sonus SBC Edge data in the unlikely event that you encounter an issue with your SBC 1000/2000 upgrade and need to roll back by downgrading.
Sonus recommends renaming the backup filename to indicate the current software version and build number. For example, rename the backup to
Sonus SBC 1000/2000-1.3.0-b80.tar.gz if you are currently running a SBC 1000/2000 version 1.3.0 build 80.
- In the event of new alarms raised after upgrading the SBC 1000/2000, ensure you have no outstanding alarms before upgrading the SBC 1000/2000. To clear alarm(s), follow the instructions outlined in Acting on Displayed Alarms.
- If you encounter any problems with your production upgrade that you cannot resolve in a timely manner, create an issue at our support site so we can assist you.
Performing the Upgrade
Refer to the appropriate upgrade instructions below for your SBC 1000/2000 hardware configuration:
Starting in Release 5.0, Sonus ASM will be using Windows Server 2012R2 in order to prepare for Skype for Business SBA.
Prepare to Upgrade the SBC 1000/2000 with a Built-in ASM To ensure the Sonus SBC 1000/2000 can communicate with the ASM, you must always upgrade the SBC Communication Service before upgrading the Sonus SBC 1000/2000 software.
The ASM may become unavailable if you upgrade the Sonus SBC 1000/2000 firmware before upgrading the ASM SBC Communication Service.
Follow these steps to upgrade the SBC Communication Service:
- From the Sonus SBC Edge Download Center, download the SBC Communication Service update — file name
uxcommsvc-release-A.B.C.zip, where A.B.C refers to the version you are upgrading to.
- Open the
.zip file and unpack it to a temporary folder. This will produce a
- Apply this SBC Communication Service update by following the instructions outlined in Installing an ASM Package.
- To ensure the SBC Communication Service was properly updated, verify the Sonus SBC 1000/2000 Communication Service Version has changed to the intended version.
You now may proceed with upgrading the SBC 1000/2000; follow the instructions below.
Upgrade the SBC 1000/2000
- From the Sonus SBC Edge Download Center, download the sw-release-x.y.zfile where x.y.z indicates the version number you are upgrading to:
- SBC 1000 Model - the filename uses file extension
- SBC 2000 Model - the filename uses file extension
- Select the desired SBC 1000/2000 upgrade method:
- Ensure the SBC 1000/2000 has upgraded by verifying the running SBC Edge software version.
Congratulations, you have completed upgrading the SBC 1000/2000! Proceed to the Upgrade Check List.
Post-upgrade Check List
- You must clear your web browser cache before you login to the SBC 1000/2000.
- Perform a backup of your data on the new SBC 1000/2000 version. Similarly to the backup preformed in step 3 of the Before You Begin section above, we recommend you rename the backup filename to indicate the current software version and build number.
- Ensure there are no new alarms generated after the upgrade. In the event of finding new alarms, address what is causing them.